|"SPOT THE FLOODLIGHT BULBS!"|
Monday, 18 February 2013
158 olympic/respublikansky stadion kiev
(GROUND NUMBER 158)
Date of First Visit: 1st OCTOBER 1997
OLYMPIC/RESPUBLIKANSKY STADION, KIEV
DINAMO KIEV 2
NEWCASTLE UNITED 2 (John Beresford 2)
U.E.F.A. CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
ATTENDANCE 100,000 (400 Toon fans, plus ME in the Kiev End!)
"KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN KIEV!"
The club had organised a day trip tih the Ukrainian capital for the princely sum of aroond aboot £320!.
‘The Caped Crusader’ (as usual!) was panickin' because he does'nt like travellin' on the day of the match in case somethin' gans wrang like delays by fog or bad weather for example and AH was panickin' (as usual!) coz the flight took fower hours.
(As far as a'm concerned, that's fower hours for sommik tih gan wrang, like the propellers faallin off or the engine blaa'in up!)
So it was a nervous duo who entered Newcastle Airport that mornin'! tih check in for wor 'said' 'day trip!'.
Needless tih say!, the flight torned oot tih be uneventful and we arrived at Kiev airport in one piece AND on time!.
The anly problem was that it took another two f***** hours tih get through customs, as the local 'secret police' double checked wor visas and passports.
The one that checked mine (a little c*** in a big hat!) just gave iz one of those:
'YOU LOOK LIKE AN AMERICAN SECRET AGENT TO ME', looks!, and aa half expected tih be 'carted off' tih the nearest Siberian salt mine for ten years hard labour!.
After aboot two minutes and a word in the 'shell like' of a fellow 'comrade' he finally gave iz the 'aall clear' and lerriz through, much tih my relief! as ah did'nt care too much for a 'boiled grass 'n' sheeps eyes soup' diet!, in a concentration camp tih see iz intih the new millennium!.
(Boiled grass waz the staple diet of Siberian Concentration camps az there waz ne taste to it!)
The city of Kiev torned oot tih be just as bleak as the airport reception and as yi'd expect it was f***** freezin' caad. A road sweeper with an improvised brush made of twigs was sweepin’ the autumn leaves up into a heap and settin’ them on fire in the middle of the road!
The thing that struck me the most though, were the amoont of beggars on the streets and one fat roond faced woman in particular near a subway station, waz dressed in rags with a shawl aroond hor heed and she waz holdin’ a baaby under hor left arm, with a beggin’ bowl in hor right hand and sayin’ sommik in Russian, which, (usin’ my vast knowledge of international languages!)---(Er!-fluent Geordie & broken English!) aa deciphered to be----“HAVE YI GOT ANY SPARE BIT, HINNY!?”
Most of the few cars were the standard 'Trabent rust buckets', the busses looked like the ones yi’d normally see in a scrapyard and nearly aall the locals were waalkin' aboot in Cossack style hats 'n' shabby sheepskin coats. (most of which looked aboot twenty years aad!)
The amazin' thing when wih went on the 'hoy' was that there were quite a few cafe style bars with customers sittin' oot in the open with the temperature bearly above freezin' point.
(Definitely another place that yih could send yih mother 'n' law for hor summer holidays!)
As wih waalked the streets wih came across the Ukranian equivelent of 'Kentucky Fried Chicken' with the logo of the gadgie in specs and white beard on the front! and what I assume was K.F.C. written in Russian? (sommik like! Ω ±∑ !)
There were massive queues tih get in and it was hardly surprizin' as the rest of the scran shops looked a bit 'dodgy' tih say the least. We were 'Hank Marvin' by nuw, so wih (wisely!) decided tih get some 'Desperate Dan' there before headin' for the stadium which was in the city centre.
In a boozer near the 100,000 capacity stadium we bumped into ‘Bill Quay Kev’ who waz sittin’ at a table with a very large vodka in front of him!
“IT’S BEAUTIFUL ‘FINK’---BEAUTIFUL!”, he said to me, slurrin’ hiz words az he stared at the FULL pint glass! (I kid yoo not!)
“THERE’S NE OPTIC MEASURES HERE!”---“THEY JUST POUR IT FROM THE BOTTLE!”, he added az he gulped some more doon hiz ‘Gregory Peck’!
Anotha trip to the bar for Kev saw the barman pour him anotha vodka cocktail and indeed he did pour aboot half a pint of the stuff into the glass before addin’ some coke and ice!
After a few BEERS with Kev (there waz NE WAY aa waz gannih be ‘comotosed’ like him before the game!) we said wor goodbyes az he sat at the table lookin’ absoluteleee ‘cattle trucked’ with the drink!
Then a while later and half an hour before kick off, aa lost the rest of the lads in the crowds outside and had to mek mee aan way to the huge stadium, which had fower massive floodlights with aboot a hundred bulbs in each one! and aall the tornstile entrance signs were in Russian!, which of course aa couldn’t understand!
To be honest aa was a bit p*st meesel and with time getting’ on aa panicked that aa would miss the start and just went with the flo of the crowd to the nearest entrance.
A gadgie mumbled sommik in Russian and tore the ticket stub off and aa waz in the ground.
There were ne tool sheds az such and if yi wanted a ‘gypsies’ yi had ti gan behind some trees on the concourse to get a slash!
Hundreds were standin’ there in a row with their w*llies hangin’ oot, az ‘the secret police dibbles’ looked on! (f**kin’ perverts!)
It waz then onto the steep terraces where broken wooden benches aligned them az far az the eye could see!---Aa looked to see if aa could get to the ‘Toon End’ of the stadium but aa waz on the highest level and the pocket of Toon fans were below in a paddock on the opposite side of the pitch, which waz impossible to get te from where aa waz!
Aa thought aboot askin one of the ‘secret police dibbles’ who were smokin’ tabs in the alleyways, if aa could get to the Toon section, but had second thoughts az they MIGHT just hoy me oot instead and a’d miss the match!---so aa stayed put and kept ‘dumb’ and plonked meesel doon on one of the broken benches with 99,600 screamin’ Ukrainians in every direction aroond iz! (help!)
Many fans were drinkin’ beer in their seats which they’d bought from the kiosks in the concourses---a strange sight which of course isn’t allowed back home!
Just before the match kicked off an ugly woman with a wart on the end of hor nose and wearin’ a heedscarf , came up to me and looked at the seat and said sommik in Russian to me. Thinkin’ she waz tellin’ me that aa waz sittin’ in hor seat aa said sommik in gibberish so az not to give the game away and just shrugged mee shoulders, az she looked on in puzzlement!
She than waalked off cursin’ sommik under hor breath and (thankfully!) went somewhere else!---Phew!---it waz a close caall—but a’d gettin’ away with it!
The game kick off and Kiev started off the brightest and took the lead after just fower minutes when Shay Given waz beaten by Redrov to put the home side one up!
This resulted in the entire crowd jumpin’ up and celebratin’ wildly!---apart from me!---Who just stood there with arms folded, hopin’ that nebody would ‘suss me oot’!?
At aboot the midpoint of the half it waz 2-0 to Kiev when a mistake by Darren Peackock let in Shevchenko who fired in from a tight angle. (More celebrations from the locals and more arm foldin’ from me!)
We picked up the pace a bit in the second half and then with just 12 minutes to gan when a weak shot from John Beresford went through the legs of the Kiev keeper to give us hope of a comeback!
Again aa stood with arms folded, but under baited breath aa was sayin’---“gerrin gerrin!”
And then within seven minutes we were level when ‘savior’ Beresford struck a fine shot which richoshaded off Kiev defender Golovko’s boot and ower the keepers heed to send the small pocket of Toon Army travellers on the other side of the pitch crazy!
Aa tried not to react, but aa had a huge smile on mee face and then aa got a tap on the shoulder from behind off a Kiev fan who said in broken English---“Yoo Newcastle?” Aa hesitated for a second but realised a’d ‘been rumbled’----“YES!” aa said sheepishly and unbelieviblee he handed me a pint of beer to drink and shook mee hand!
At last!---“WELCOME TO KIEV!”
But hang on a minute!---wot if he waz a two faced b*****d and had hockled in the beer?
The broon stuff DID look a little too frothy after aall!?---So aa tipped the contents doon a crack in the concrete terraces!--- Aa wasn’t takin’ ANY chances! (hope there waz nebody sittin’ below!???)(ha!-ha!)
A few minutes later the ref blew for full time and we’d got a valuable point to show for it and aa made me way incognito to the nearest exit!
After the match it waz back to a meetin’ point in the main square where we had time for a few ‘liquid refreshments before climbin’ back onto the bus to take us back to Kiev airport and another meetin’ with ‘the secret police dibbles’!
‘Bill Quay Kev’ waz there (Bill Quay iz a village on the banks ‘o’ the Tyne near Pelaw!) and he looked absolutlee knackered with the drink!---“I’M DEVESTATED, FINK!”, he said to me—“AA DIDN’T GET IN ‘TIL HALF TIME AND THEN AA FELL ASLEEP AND MISSED THE MATCH!”---he added az he held his heed in hiz hands! (the demon drink had taken it’s toll!)---
AALL THAT WAY!---TO MISS THE MATCH!!!!
It waz then back on the plane afta anotha two hour or so wait (to let the Toon players ‘jump the queue’ and board their flight yem!) and fower and a half hours later wor ‘day trip to Kiev’ waz complete!
A memorable day aall roond! (apart from ‘Bill Quay Kev’ that iz!---AALL THAT WAY FOR NOWT!)
Footnote: On mee next visit to Kiev five years later aa actually went in the AWAY END for a change and my claim to fame iz!---a’m the ANLY Toon fan to have been in the Dynamo Kiev HOME AND AWAY END!
It shud aalso be noted that there were NE beggars to be seen on the streets on wor second visit!?---perhaps they were sent to the salt mines!?
©Fink™ (the mad-sad groundhopper!)
ARCHIVE GROUNDS MATCH REPORT LIST
- 001 st james park Liverpool 2014 (1)
- 001 st james park newcastle (1)
- 001 st james park sampdoria 2007 (1)
- 002 joker park blunderland 1967 (1)
- 002 joker park revisited 1970 (1)
- 003 anfield liverpool (1)
- 004 highbury arsenal (1)
- 005 molinuex wolves (1)
- 006 loftus road qpr (1)
- 006 revisited loftus road qpr (1)
- 007 maine road manchester city (1)
- 008 the dell southampton (1)
- 009 upton park last ever visit 2015 (1)
- 009 upton park west ham (1)
- 011 highfield road coventry (1)
- 012 redheugh park gateshead (1)
- 014 selhurst park crystal palace (2)
- 017 filbert street Leicester 1992 (1)
- 018 Victoria ground stoke (1)
- 021 edgar street hereford (1)
- 022 bramall lane sheffield (1)
- 023 baseball ground derby (1)
- 026 white hart lane tottenham (1)
- 028 old show ground scunthorpe (1)
- 030 hillsborough sheffield (v burnley) (1)
- 034 turf moor burnley (1)
- 040 boothferry park hull (1)
- 044 shielfield park berwick (1)
- 045 the den millwall (1)
- 050 craven cottage fulham (1)
- 053 boundary park oldham (1)
- 055 home park plymouth 2010 (1)
- 058 carrow road Norwich (revisited 2017) (1)
- 059 revisited oakwell Barnsley 2016 (1)
- 061 (revisited 2007) Victoria ground (now 'park') hartlepool (1)
- 069 palmerston park queen of the south (1)
- 070 easter road hibernian (1)
- 073 vicarage road watford (1)
- 078 ferens park durham (1)
- 086 dens park dundee (1)
- 090 dean court bournemouth (1)
- 091 elm park reading (1)
- 091 elm park reading revisited (1)
- 097 ashton gate revisited Bristol city (1)
- 100 prenton park tranmere (1)
- 100 pub crawl challenge (1)
- 102 roots hall southend (1)
- 105 revisited bootham crescent york (1)
- 106 belle vue doncaster (1)
- 108 griffin park revisited 2017 (1)
- 109 porta elisa luccese italy (1)
- 110 stadio san nicola bari italy (1)
- 136 bucks head telford (1)
- 158 olympic/respublikansky stadium kiev (1)
- 166 nou camp barcelona (1)
- 170 (revisited) dalymount park Dublin 2016 (1)
- 177 rockcliffe park middlesbrough (1)
- 187 belle vue park consett (1)
- 187 belle vue park consett last ever visit 2013 (1)
- 199 new broomfield park (1)
- 215 killingworth young persons centre (walker central) (1)
- 223 raydale park gretna (1)
- 233 moss lane Altrincham (man u res) (1)
- 247 raizor stadium la coruna 2010 (1)
- 250 kingsley park ryton (nufc academy) (1)
- 251 revisited jjb stadium wigan (1)
- 255 whaddon road cheltenham (1)
- 268 welfare ground hetton le hole (v s/land res) (1)
- 270 tallaght stadium dublin (1)
- 273: don valley stadium (1)
- 274 liberty stadium swansea (1)
- 275 crown ground accrington (1)
- 276 champions hill stadium dulwich hamlet (1)
- 277 great barr west brom (1)
- 278 leighsports village stadium blackburn (1)
- 279 shirecliffe sheffield (1)
- 280 veld 7 almere (1)
- 281 b2 net stadium chesterfield (1)
- 282 parc y scarlets llanelli (1)
- 283 amex stadium brighton (1)
- 284a and 284b academy of sshh (yee naa wot) cleadon (1)
- 285 NOT motspur park london (1)
- 285a and 285b middlewood sheffield (1)
- 286 brockhall academy blackburn (1)
- 287 gellert stadium chemnitz germany (1)
- 288 estadio algarve faro portugal (1)
- 289 kyocera stadion den haag the hague holland (1)
- 290 municipal stadium of peristeri (1)
- 291 estadio dos barreiros maritimo madeira (1)
- 292 bulls croos training complex spurs reserves (1)
- 293 jan breydel stadion brugge belgium (1)
- 294 underhill barnet london (1)
- 295 stade chaban delmas bordeaux (1)
- 296 silverlake stadium eastleigh (v southampton res) (1)
- 297 metalist stadium karkiv (1)
- 298 luzhniki stadium Moscow (v anzi) (1)
- 299 clayton wood stoke (1)
- 300 estadio da luz benfica (1)
- 301 fir park motherwell (1)
- 302 rugby park kilmarnock (1)
- 303 st Mirren park st mirren (1)
- 304 globe arena morecambe (1)
- 305 Pirelli stadium burton (1)
- 305 revisited perelli stadium burton (1)
- 306 belle vue stadium consett (1)
- 307 NOT! woodside park bishop's stortford (1)
- 307a and 307b aon training complex carrington (1)
- 308 veltins arena gelsenkirchen germany (1)
- 309 priesfield stadium gillingham (1)
- 310 meadow park borehamwood (1)
- 311 grounsell park heaton stannington (1)
- 312 platt lane academy man city (1)
- 313 bigges main wallsend (1)
- 314 the new den millwall (1)
- 315 lostock bolton u18s (1)
- 316 oakwood training centre derby (1)
- 317 city football academy complex (pitch 8) manchester city (1)
- 318 new manor ground ilkeston (1)
- 319 broadfield stadium crawley (v brighton U21s) (1)
- 320 horsfall stadium bradford pa (1)
- 321 Victoria road dagenham (west ham) (1)
- 322 new york stadium rotherham (1)
- 323 roundwood pavilion Rotherham u23s (1)
- 324 kassam stadium oxford (1)
- 325 turnbull ground whitby (v celtic u23s) (1)
- 326 opel arena mainz germany (1)
- 327 st georges park nr burton (v stoke u23s) (1)
- 328 heritage parkbishop auckland(v mboro u23s (1)
- 329 weston homes stadium colchester (1)
- 330 London stadium west ham (1)
- 331 edgeley park stockport (v burnley) (1)
- airdrie (1)
- atrtomitos (1)
- Blaydon Races song (1)
- geordie glossary of terms 'a' to 'z' (1)
- greece (1)
- ground zero elland road leeds (1)
- olympic stadium (1)
- sheffield (1)
- the geordie times (an explanation) (1)
- the geordie times online (1)
- the toon 1 thetoffees 2 (1)
- the toon v bolton (1)