THE GEORDIE TIMES ONLINE
Monday, 14 September 2015
009 upton park west ham
(GROUND NUMBER 9)
Date of First Visit: 1st MARCH 1969
BOLEYN GROUND, UPTON PARK, LONDON
WEST HAM UNITED 3
NEWCASTLE UNITED 1 (Davies)
(OLD) DIVISION ONE
ATTENDANCE 26,366 (1,000 Toon fans)
"LIFE SENTENCES AND JELLIED EELS!"
West Ham!. (or West 'Aem' as the 'Cockney Boys' caall 'em!) Aa could honestly write a whole book alone on mee trips tih Upton Park.
So!---here gans! with mee very forst visit to 'eeest Landan'
This game was played in the same week as the notorious east end gangsters the Kray twins were facin' life imprisonment for the gangland killings of rivals George Cornell and 'Jack The Hat' McVitie and there was a sense of foreboding in the air as we approached the tornstiles.
We were in the 'South Bank End' that day and ah remember that a Toon fan caalled 'Kit Kat' was leadin' the 'Geordie Choir', to a rendition of 'Wyn is the King'.
Another Toon fan caalled 'Doddsy', who waz a reet radgie (and still iz!---even though he's in his late '50's nuw!) used tih wear a white butchers coat with 'LEAZES END BOOT BOYS' on the back, which was written very crudely in biro and felt tipped pen.
Underneath there was a drawin' of the F.A. Cup alang side a very large 'Doctor Martin Boot', and he was tryin' tih goad the mainly black West Ham fans in wor end to a 'punch up'.
They aall had their prince of wales suits on and carried rolled up brollies as part of their 'kit' and were knaan as 'The Brolly ***s' and they had a fearsome reputation at the time. (NO!---it's NOT! 'The Brolly Boys', by the way!)
The South Bank had a low pitched roof and shallow terracin' which made it hard to see the goaline from the back as the perimeter fence was practically on the pitch, the groond was that compact. (It was so close infact, that the goal nettin' was tied to the fences handrail!)
The white West Ham fans used to congregate in the opposite 'mirror image' North Bank end which had an even worse reputation, not unlike 'The Krays', so it was a 'no win' situation as far as we were concerned as there was still ne segregation of away fans in them days.
Yi simply paid 'your bit' at the tornsiles and 'took your chances'
To wor left was the double decker main stand which was by far the tallest structure in the groond and to wor reet was the newly built 'Chicken Run' stand, which, as it's Cockney slang name suggests, was aboot the same size as a 'hen coop'! and was aboot a qwaata of the main stands size
Before lang it 'kicked off' (not the match by the way---but the goadin'!) when the Leazes mob moved towards the 'Brolly Boys?' led by 'yee naa who'
"COME AND HAVE A GO AT THE GEORDIE AGGRO!", they yelled as they beckoned the Brolly Boys? to a pagger, but for some reason they declined the offer and before lang the 'Dibble riot squad' moved in tih quell any potential trouble by formin' a line doon the middle of the gangway.
As this was mee thord visit to 'the smoke' to watch 'The Toon' aa was hopin' for a 'thord time lucky win'----BUT!----aa just new that it was'nt gannih be wor day when
'The Hammers' scored in the second minute when 'Clever Trevor' (Brooking) had a shot which was cruely deflected past the stranded Iam McFaul in the Toon goal as he dived the wrang way! (he was aalways a 'jammy B*****D!')
Worse was to follow and after aboot quaata of an hour, West Ham went 2-0 up from a Martin Peters volley, and aall hell broke loose as the home fans goaded the Geordie hordes with chants of "Two nil—Two nil!".
The Boot Boys could'nt 'take it' and 'had a go' at The Brolly Boys' but were beaten back by the 'Dibble', who hit oot with their lang 'stick like' truncheons, which they used to carry back then.
The Toon eventually got on the score sheet with a fluke goal from Wyn Davies.
He centred the baall which went straight into the net past the desparin' Hammers keeper five minutes from time.
But!--- it was aall too late, and the final 'Hammer blow' came just before the full time whistle, when 'World Cup Hero' Geoff Hurst hit their thord tih tek the two points.
(Aye!---anly two points for a win, back then)
After the match wih had tih run a 'gauntlet of hate' as wih made wor way back tih the tube station past the various 'jellied eel' and 'pie and mash' shops and market staalls which lined the road. (jellied eels are a favourite Cockney 'delicacy' but personally aa would'nt recommend it meesel unless yi want to be ill with 'dodgy guts' that is!)
When wih got tih Kings Cross, me and mee mate Billy had tih tek refuge in the stations cafe, when a load of Spurs fans spotted us and threatened tih 'cave wor heeds in'.
The fans were much older (and bigger!) than us, and one kidda in his orly twenties, (aa was still anly fourteen!) had a huge stupid grin on his face and he kept punchin' the palm of his left hand with his right, as though, that's what he was gannin tih dee!, tih wor 'dials' when he got a haad of us!.
---We were terrified!, and were stuck there for quite a while, but!---as luck would have it, and just in the nick of time, 'the cavalry' arrived, when 'Kit Kat' and 'Doddsy' plus their motley crew suddenly appeared and they chased the Spurs fans oot the station, tih 'save wor bacon'!. (their 'stupid grins' had disappeared by this time!)
Then!----we heeded for the 'midneet bells' paper train which was a six hour (plus!) jorney back to the Toon through aall the back of beyond places imaginable, eventually arrivin' at 'The Central' at 'six thorty bells'.
We then had a lang waalk yem after that, as the busses had'nt started runnin' and we did'nt have enough money between us for a taxi.--------Happy days!???
Footnote: three days after this game was played The Kray Twins were sentenced to life imprisonment------ little did 'little me' realise at the time, but aa of course had aalready sorved five years of mee aan 'Newcastle United F.C.' 'life sentence'!
which had started in September1964 against Coventry at home!
©Fink™ (the mad-sad gr☺undh☺pper!)
ARCHIVE GROUNDS MATCH REPORT LIST
- 001 st james park Liverpool 2014 (1)
- 001 st james park newcastle (1)
- 001 st james park sampdoria 2007 (1)
- 002 joker park blunderland 1967 (1)
- 002 joker park revisited 1970 (1)
- 003 anfield liverpool (1)
- 004 highbury arsenal (1)
- 005 molinuex wolves (1)
- 006 loftus road qpr (1)
- 006 revisited loftus road qpr (1)
- 007 maine road manchester city (1)
- 008 the dell southampton (1)
- 009 upton park last ever visit 2015 (1)
- 009 upton park west ham (1)
- 011 highfield road coventry (1)
- 012 redheugh park gateshead (1)
- 014 selhurst park crystal palace (2)
- 017 filbert street Leicester 1992 (1)
- 018 Victoria ground stoke (1)
- 021 edgar street hereford (1)
- 022 bramall lane sheffield (1)
- 023 baseball ground derby (1)
- 026 white hart lane tottenham (1)
- 028 old show ground scunthorpe (1)
- 030 hillsborough sheffield (v burnley) (1)
- 034 turf moor burnley (1)
- 040 boothferry park hull (1)
- 044 shielfield park berwick (1)
- 045 the den millwall (1)
- 050 craven cottage fulham (1)
- 053 boundary park oldham (1)
- 055 home park plymouth 2010 (1)
- 058 carrow road Norwich (revisited 2017) (1)
- 059 revisited oakwell Barnsley 2016 (1)
- 061 (revisited 2007) Victoria ground (now 'park') hartlepool (1)
- 069 palmerston park queen of the south (1)
- 070 easter road hibernian (1)
- 073 vicarage road watford (1)
- 078 ferens park durham (1)
- 086 dens park dundee (1)
- 090 dean court bournemouth (1)
- 091 elm park reading (1)
- 091 elm park reading revisited (1)
- 097 ashton gate revisited Bristol city (1)
- 100 prenton park tranmere (1)
- 100 pub crawl challenge (1)
- 102 roots hall southend (1)
- 105 revisited bootham crescent york (1)
- 106 belle vue doncaster (1)
- 108 griffin park revisited 2017 (1)
- 109 porta elisa luccese italy (1)
- 110 stadio san nicola bari italy (1)
- 136 bucks head telford (1)
- 158 olympic/respublikansky stadium kiev (1)
- 166 nou camp barcelona (1)
- 170 (revisited) dalymount park Dublin 2016 (1)
- 177 rockcliffe park middlesbrough (1)
- 187 belle vue park consett (1)
- 187 belle vue park consett last ever visit 2013 (1)
- 199 new broomfield park (1)
- 215 killingworth young persons centre (walker central) (1)
- 223 raydale park gretna (1)
- 233 moss lane Altrincham (man u res) (1)
- 247 raizor stadium la coruna 2010 (1)
- 250 kingsley park ryton (nufc academy) (1)
- 251 revisited jjb stadium wigan (1)
- 255 whaddon road cheltenham (1)
- 268 welfare ground hetton le hole (v s/land res) (1)
- 270 tallaght stadium dublin (1)
- 273: don valley stadium (1)
- 274 liberty stadium swansea (1)
- 275 crown ground accrington (1)
- 276 champions hill stadium dulwich hamlet (1)
- 277 great barr west brom (1)
- 278 leighsports village stadium blackburn (1)
- 279 shirecliffe sheffield (1)
- 280 veld 7 almere (1)
- 281 b2 net stadium chesterfield (1)
- 282 parc y scarlets llanelli (1)
- 283 amex stadium brighton (1)
- 284a and 284b academy of sshh (yee naa wot) cleadon (1)
- 285 NOT motspur park london (1)
- 285a and 285b middlewood sheffield (1)
- 286 brockhall academy blackburn (1)
- 287 gellert stadium chemnitz germany (1)
- 288 estadio algarve faro portugal (1)
- 289 kyocera stadion den haag the hague holland (1)
- 290 municipal stadium of peristeri (1)
- 291 estadio dos barreiros maritimo madeira (1)
- 292 bulls croos training complex spurs reserves (1)
- 293 jan breydel stadion brugge belgium (1)
- 294 underhill barnet london (1)
- 295 stade chaban delmas bordeaux (1)
- 296 silverlake stadium eastleigh (v southampton res) (1)
- 297 metalist stadium karkiv (1)
- 298 luzhniki stadium Moscow (v anzi) (1)
- 299 clayton wood stoke (1)
- 300 estadio da luz benfica (1)
- 301 fir park motherwell (1)
- 302 rugby park kilmarnock (1)
- 303 st Mirren park st mirren (1)
- 304 globe arena morecambe (1)
- 305 Pirelli stadium burton (1)
- 305 revisited perelli stadium burton (1)
- 306 belle vue stadium consett (1)
- 307 NOT! woodside park bishop's stortford (1)
- 307a and 307b aon training complex carrington (1)
- 308 veltins arena gelsenkirchen germany (1)
- 309 priesfield stadium gillingham (1)
- 310 meadow park borehamwood (1)
- 311 grounsell park heaton stannington (1)
- 312 platt lane academy man city (1)
- 313 bigges main wallsend (1)
- 314 the new den millwall (1)
- 315 lostock bolton u18s (1)
- 316 oakwood training centre derby (1)
- 317 city football academy complex (pitch 8) manchester city (1)
- 318 new manor ground ilkeston (1)
- 319 broadfield stadium crawley (v brighton U21s) (1)
- 320 horsfall stadium bradford pa (1)
- 321 Victoria road dagenham (west ham) (1)
- 322 new york stadium rotherham (1)
- 323 roundwood pavilion Rotherham u23s (1)
- 324 kassam stadium oxford (1)
- 325 turnbull ground whitby (v celtic u23s) (1)
- 326 opel arena mainz germany (1)
- 327 st georges park nr burton (v stoke u23s) (1)
- 328 heritage parkbishop auckland(v mboro u23s (1)
- 329 weston homes stadium colchester (1)
- airdrie (1)
- atrtomitos (1)
- Blaydon Races song (1)
- geordie glossary of terms 'a' to 'z' (1)
- greece (1)
- ground zero elland road leeds (1)
- olympic stadium (1)
- sheffield (1)
- the geordie times (an explanation) (1)
- the geordie times online (1)
- the toon 1 thetoffees 2 (1)
- the toon v bolton (1)